Monday, May 27, 2013

Mice in the Bunkers!

Ralph Myron Jackson--Military service (19 or 20 years old)

Thought it might be nice to read an excerpt from Dad's journal on this Memorial Day 2013.

Grandma and Grandpa Jackson sending son off to serve in the military
Sacrifices came in all shapes and sizes for Dad as he served in the military.  "While I was lying in the bunker during the daylight hours (rest time was during the day because fighting was mostly at night) I would watch large rats on the ceiling beam, one or two at a time, looking for something to nibble on.  These rats were known for carrying diseases and if humans were bitten by one of these rats the disease would cause bleeding and eventual death.  In fact one soldier lying right next to me had already been bitten and had the disease and was being prepared to return to the rear of the fighting area for medical attention.  My fears were long standing because of my early experiences with mice.  So I simply pulled out my 45 and shot those rats off the ceiling of the bunker.  And that settled that."



No comments:

Post a Comment